There are several talks going around regarding the safety of women in India. Also, there have been make strict rules against the culprits. Despite all these, we come across many such incidents almost daily.
Crime against women also includes domestic violence cases which is a major reason behind a number of suicides in Delhi.
Generally, when it comes to domestic violence, people think of physical assault and abuse.
However, it is not just physical violence alone, but can be any behaviour the purpose of which is to gain control over the actions and behaviour of partner or spouse or intimate family member.
Domestic violence against women can be of different types such as:
- Physical abuse
- Emotional abuse
- Controlling behaviour
- Sexual abuse
- Showing male superiority
- Economic abuse
Physical abuse includes aggressive behaviour to harm someone physically or even threat of physical abuse. It could be actions like:
- Threatening with a weapon
- Any behaviour to intimidate the victim.
Other instances include:
- With holding some of physical needs like sleep, food, help during sickness, locking victim into or out of home.
- Controlling behaviour is also one form of domestic violence. It could include not allowing victim a freedom of choice for clothing, food or anything. Invading the privacy and any sort of spying activities against the victim can fall under this category.
- Emotional blackmails, torture and isolation are other types of domestic violence which are also reported.
In most of the cases, violence is the result of male dominance because the society sees male as superior to women. The challenging part is that the cases exist in almost all sections of the society, including the well-educated families.
Women who are a victim of domestic violence can seek help from Sofia Educational and Welfare Society, an NGO for domestic violence in India. PSET is unique in the sense that they not only help women who have been a victim of abuse, but also ensure that these women are able to live independently after rescue. In addition, the NGO also bears the expenses for the legal matters that these women have to undergo and sensitively intervene in their cases. As their true helping aid, the NGO also ensures that these women learn to be confident and economically independent. For this, they have several employment programs running which women can benefit from.
All their efforts are in direction to bring down violence against women in Delhi. PSET works with sensitive people who aggressively spread awareness around women empowerment and gender sensitization.